Friday, August 05, 2005

Car Care Tip


I like to put Vaseline in the spark plug wire boots before clicking them on the plugs, so wires won't seize on the hot plugs and tear apart when you try to take them off. Also, it makes it easier to seat the wire right on the plug and prevent moisture infiltration. But I haven't had any Vaseline handy for a while, so I substituted wheel bearing grease. Big mistake! The grease forms a hard layer that inhibits the spark, causing misfires. I tried all sorts of stuff for a while: new plugs, fuel injection cleaner, etc. But the other night I found a jar of Vaseline on the road and all of a sudden it occurred to me what the problem was. So I cleaned up the wires and put a little Vaseline. Presto, the misfires vanished and the gas mileage went way up.

No comments: